Looking for homes for sale in Montgomery, AL? Learn more about the community.
Known as the Capital of Dreams, Montgomery, Alabama was incorporated on December 3, 1819. It is the second largest city in the state with a population of 205,764 according to the 2010 census.
Making up the center of what’s known as the River Region, Montgomery is the showplace for southern hospitality and economic growth. The city offers a wide array of activities for residents and visitors to the area and is a city rich in history, arts, sports and culture.
- With a culture focused on the future, the Capital of Dreams has something for people of all ages, stages and walks of life.
Schools and Education
- Montgomery Public Schools includes 36 elementary, 12 junior/middle and 8 high schools. Additionally, Montgomery has a total of thirty-seven private schools.
- Montgomery is home to several public and private colleges, as well as military schools. Montgomery’s 15 colleges, universities, and military schools provide world-class educational opportunities.
Recreation and Culture
- Rich in history, Montgomery is nationally known for its many historic events and cultural landmarks such as the Alabama State Capitol, Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church, First White House of the Confederacy, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, Hank Williams Memorial, the Alabama War Memorial, and the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.
- Montgomery is home to a minor league baseball team called the Montgomery Biscuits, a Class AA affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The team plays in a 7,000 seat facility known as Riverwalk Stadium owned by the City of Montgomery.
- Blount Cultural Park serves as a regional destination for area residents. This 77-acre park is home to the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts and is the site of the Bark Park, as well as the private grounds of the world-renowned Alabama Shakespeare Festival. The park features ponds, miles of walking trails, and exquisite statuary throughout both properties.
Economics and Infrastructure
- Montgomery is the second-largest city in the state with a population of 205,764 according to the 2010 census.
- Montgomery is the home of both Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Base.
- In 2018, Montgomery’s 187th Fighter Wing Air National Guard site was selected for the new F-35 Lightning II jet—the newest, technologically advanced fighter in the nation’s military arsenal.
- Hyundai Motors Manufacturing of Alabama built its $1.4 billion automotive plant in Montgomery. This location is the first assembly and manufacturing plant in the United States and employs over 3,000 team members.